Biobehavioral biofeedback is a way to teach muscle relaxation. This technique helps people identify and regulate physiological factors that contribute to pain. Relaxation training lowers the response level, reduces symptoms and minimizes the physical impact of stress.
Electromyogram training uses an EMG machine to monitor muscle tension. After specific overly-tense muscles are identified, electrodes are taped over them during EMG training to record function. This information immediately shows on a computer screen how the muscle responds to training. The techniques are practiced at home between sessions.
Muscle relaxation/EMG training has proved highly effective with:
- Anxiety Disorders
- Arthritis Pain, other Chronic Pain
- Essential Hypertension (not caused by other conditions)
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Intestinal Disorders/Ulcer, Rectal Pain
- Migraine and Tension-type Headaches
- Sleep Disorders (Insomnia)
- Myofascial Pain, Tempromandibular Joint Dysfunction (TMJ/TMD)
- Neuromuscular Disorders
- Raynaud’s Disease
For more information on biofeedback services to schedule an appointment at St. Louis Behavioral Medicine Institute, please contact us at (314) 289-9411, you can also choose to complete our online inquiry form. We look forward to speaking with you.